Tuesday 6 January 2009

On Mercenaries

OK, another post. I've arrived into our second lecture hall and have some 45minutes before the lecture starts. So, instead of using the productively, I'll tell you a little story about my father and myself.

He recently attended an employee evaluation testing that lasted for two days and consisted of various tests analyzing you motivation, efficiency, loyalty, role skills and other relevant variables. At first they had to sort seven colours according to, I don't know, how they appealed to their sences, how they made them feel, how they energized them and whatnot. Then there were over 200 (!), around 250 terms ranging from "work" or "family" to "interstructural networking" or "signal encryption modulation" that had to be allocated three colors ranking from the most suitable to the third most suitable. This was then evaluated (obviously if you had purple as the colour that made you feel the worst and then allocated it to work, you were found disloyal etc) and they were given their position on loyalty/efficiency scale.

The four ranks you could score were "evangelist" for loyal and efficient, "resident" for loyal but inefficient/not motivated, "mercenaries" for not loyal but efficient and finally something I don't even remember the name of that was neither loyal nor efficient.

My father, quite unsurprisingly, was foud to be extremely unmotivated, not loyal at all, but highly efficient. He gets his work done superbly, as long as he is paid enough, then goes home and doesn't give a damn about the company at all.

This is how I tend to feel these days, only related to the college, not work. I want to get it over with, waltz through the exams and get back to doing whatever it is I find enjoyable. I think, though, that this attitude is higly unsuitable for medicine in particular. Many of the people that I see around myself are evangelists, they live the school, and I fear that is the only way one can get through this place.

Most importantly, though, finding myself feeling this scared the shit out of me. Hell, I'm just half a year (well, less, but...) into what I "chose" to do for life and I already find it a neccessity I must bear with, not an interesting domain where I can realize myself. Perhaps this will pass and I will finally take off. Till then, I remain dubious.

Adam

7 comments:

  1. Dammit, I thought this would be an insightful, scathing critique of private military contractors. Way to get my hopes up, you ass. >:C

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) I was hoping for the same kind of post as Martin did. Shame on you!

    B) From where do you get your opinion that you are effective? Haven't you sorta failed the anatomy before Christmas? Shame on you!

    C) Have you really chose your future by yourself or did you accidentally run into it and run out of power to jump into another line? Shame on me for not supporting my friends, but you really pissed me off with the misleading headline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And shame on you for implanting thoughts of writing shortish essay on mercs in my head where should be only thoughts on writing longish essay on the importance of political philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of essays, I came across an interesting writing tactic for when you're stumped. You go off on an angry and frustrated rant related to the matter at hand. Then, when you feel you've ranted enough, you cut out the swearing and voila - essay.

    I admit it works better on people for whom getting their RAGE! on is easier than just coming up with an essay, ie. people other than you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martin: Thanks for the flattery, but you are greatly overestimating my essays-writing abilities. I can get my RAGE! on very easily, but I can't keep it going for long time.

    Adam: Don't get me wrong, I don't want to put you down but you take a closer look at the backslash in inefficient/not motivated. Does it mean that they were synonymous in that test?

    Look at you medic, a pathetic creature of flesh and bone painting and sweating as you are aimlessly wander through my corridors. Are you motivated in your learning? Do you sparkle with interest in your subject? Or do you just keep doing what do you think you should doing and suffer from Stockholm syndrome? Are you sure that you are not just a resident?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a quote is in order.

    "Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my superiors."

    ReplyDelete